2 (16 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
½ cup mashed sweet potato (1 potato, roasted)
2 bell peppers (red, yellow, or green)½ cup corn (fresh or frozen)
¼ cup old-fashioned oats
½ onion, wedged
1 clove minced garlic
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp paprika
¼ tsp black pepper
¼ tsp sea salt
Topping options: beets, portabella mushrooms, guacamole, cucumber slices, tomato
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Cook the sweet potato until soft. Microwave: poke holes in sweet potato and
microwave for 5 minutes and continue microwaving at 30 second intervals until
- Dice the peppers and onion using a food processor.
- Spray a skillet with olive oil and sauté the chopped peppers and onion until soft,
about 5 minutes.
- Turn off heat and add corn. Stir until combined and set aside to cool.
- Place the sweet potato and half of the bean to the food processor (using the “S”
blade) until combined, about 15 seconds. Add the oats, spices, and garlic and
continue blending until combined.
- Transfer the mixture to a medium bowl. Add the peppers, onions, and the rest of
the beans to the bowl and mix well. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Use olive oil spray to coat 2 baking sheets. Measure out ¼ cup of the mixture to
form a patty on the baking sheet. Space the patties about 2 inches apart, with
enough room for flipping.
- Bake the black bean burgers for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, spray the side
facing up with olive oil spray and carefully flip. Continue baking for 15-20 minutes
or until both sides are browned.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly and serve.
- Topping suggestions include beets, portabella mushrooms, guacamole,
cucumber slices, and tomatoes.
Nutrition Info Per Serving: Serves 6
Protein: 8 g
Fat: 2 g
Carbs: 31 g