3 large acorn squashes, sliced in half and seeded
3 tsp avocado oil
1 lb ground turkey, 93% lean 7% fat (or ground chicken)
3 garlic cloves, minced
¼ cup cremini mushrooms, stemmed and finely chopped
1 tsp chili powder
1 cup cooked brown rice
¼ tsp Himalayan Sea salt
¼ tsp ground pepper
1 tsp parsley
½ cup shredded skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Use olive oil or avocado oil spray to lightly spray the fleshy part of the acorn squash and place on a baking sheet cut side down. Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes or until the flesh is slightly tender.
- Heat a skillet on a medium-high heat with 2 tsp of the oil and grown the ground turkey for about 5 minutes, or until no longer pink. Remove from pan and set aside in a large mixing bowl.
- Wipe out skillet and add the remaining 1 tsp oil to the skillet on medium-high heat. Sauté garlic for 2 minutes and add the mushrooms, cumin, and sauté for another 3 minutes. Mix in the brown rice and add salt, pepper, and parsley. Stir well and add to the mixing bowl with the ground meat.
- Remove some of the flesh of the squash with a spoon from each one to make the open cavity slightly larger. Place the ingredients from the mixing bowl in each of the squash.
- Place the baking tray with the filled squash back into the oven at 400ºF and cook for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and top each half with mozzarella cheese. Cook for another 5 minutes.
Nutritional info per serving: serves 6
Protein: 20 g
Fat: 9 g Carbs: 29 g