- 2 medium sweet potatoes, diced
- 1 white onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 2 jalapenos, cored and sliced (optional)
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 2 tsp chili powder
- Salt and pepper
- 1 can low-sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 2 cups of your favorite salsa
- 6 small corn tortillas, cut into quarters
- 1 cup fresh kale, chopped and stems removed
- 1 and ½ cups shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400º F then place the diced sweet potato, onion, jalapeno, and bell pepper in a 9×13” baking dish and toss with oil. Add chili powder, salt and pepper to taste, and mix until evenly distributed.
- Roast vegetables in the oven 40-45 minutes, until the sweet potato is thoroughly cooked. Remove from oven then lower the temperature to 350º F.
- Transfer the roasted vegetables to a large bowl, and add 1 cup salsa, black beans, and cilantro
- Prepare the same casserole dish with a thin layer of salsa on the bottom, cover with a layer of tortillas. Add 1/3 of the roasted veggies and shredded chicken, then ½ cup shredded cheese.
- Layer tortillas on top of the veggies, then 1 cup of kale, top with a thin layer of salsa and another 1/3 of the veggies and chicken. Next add another ½ cup shredded cheese.
- For the last layer, add the last of the tortillas, a thin layer of salsa, and the last of the veggies and chicken. Add the remaining cheese and bake in the oven for 20 minutes, until light golden on top.
- Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes and serve!
Nutritional info per serving: serves 6
Protein: 20 g
Fat: 11 g
Carbs: 43 g